Monday, December 31, 2012

Kale experience

 Kale, I've heard about this supposed super-food greens for years, but never plucked up enough curiosity or courage to try it. Its curly leaves just does not seem prep-friendly. Well, today I finally did. For lunch I had a kale salad with red yams, edamames, sesame seeds, avocado, and sauteed portabella and corn in olive oil. For dinner I had a dish, I guess you could also call it a salad, of kale, baked salmon, red yam again, sesame seeds again, brown rice, and sauteed portabella and corn and onions in olive oil. A lot of it was just whatever ingredient I had in the fridge and needed consumption the most. I did intentionally incorporate the red yams and the fatty foods (salmon, avocado, sesame), as Vitamin K is abounds in kale and beta carotene in both kale and red yam, and both nutrients need fat to be broken down. So I had a very satisfied day in terms of my fat soluble vitamins. Both dishes also tasted quite good. The kale had a dark green color and a very leafy, dark green taste to it, if you know what I mean. For each dish I used three small stalks of kale, tore off the leaves into small pieces, sprinkled a dash of salt, and scrunched them up with my bare hands for a few minutes until they started to look wrinkled and darker in color, similar to crumpled leaves. I found this tip on another food blogger's site when I was looking for recipes (http://cookieandkate.com/2012/raw-kale-salad-with-creamy-tahini-dressing/); she's a big fan of kale and has a bunch of other interesting-looking dishes. I also ended up pouring the scrunched up kale into the mixture of portabella/corn/onion sautee shortly before dishing it, just to give it a slight torch (which probably didn't make a lot of difference). These days I find myself gravitating meal-in-a-bowl; such is the life of cooking for one.




No comments:

Post a Comment