Monday, December 24, 2012

When I'm lazy

I make brown rice with corn, soy and black beans, and red and white yams, in the proportion of 1/2 cup rice, 1 tbsp of add-ins each, and two quartered small yams with 1 cup water. It comes out a hodgepodge of colorful grains and legumes and roots, golden corn kernels dotted around and chunks of yam like massive islands in a sea of rice stained  purple by the black beans. I like the nuttiness and chewiness of brown rice and that it never goes mushy like its delicate white cousin (bad pun haha). I also like yams a lot for their non-excessive sweetness and texture (the red ones like pumpkin pie, the white and purple ones like baked potatoes but less dry). This hodgepodge lasts me three or four meals worth of starch.

When I want something safe and simple, I stir fry half a broccoli crown, half a yellow or red bell, 1/4 of an onion, and a carrot, all coarsely diced, in olive oil and a clove of garlic; I like using canola oil, which by the way has a higher omega-3: omega-6 ratio than olive oil,  for anything remotely oriental and olive oil for everything else. This comes out literally like an abridged rainbow--green, orange, yellow and white--and lasts me two meals worth of veggies. It took me a while of cooking for one to grasp the right portion sizes; many times I overestimated my stomach or my pan and a few other times I made tomatoes and eggs with half a tomato and one egg which looked absolutely ludicrous in the pan. Anyways, I digress. I just pile one meal worth of rainbow veggies on top of one meal worth of brown rice hodgepodge in a large bowl, throw on edamames from a dozen or so pods (Trader Joe's sells thaw-and-peel salted edamame pods that are quite delicious considering they're frozen), and sprinkle on toasted white sesame seeds, lightly mix and eat. Voila, a bowl of eye-candy laziness and a dose of peace to the health-conscious part of mind. Good for a slow evening in or a small lunch. 






12/23 edit: the same regiment also works with an egg, cooked any way, substituting the edamames. 


No comments:

Post a Comment