Cook defrosted salmon steak, about 1 in thick, in a little olive oil in pan over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes per side, while rubbing salt on the side facing up (I am too lazy to marinade). Set salmon steak aside. Cook large clove of minced garlic in the same oil (I added a little more because I started out with very little) in pan until lightly browned. Add coarsely chopped basil leaves from about three stalks and stir for about half a minute. Add one medium-large tomato, cut into small chunks, the runnier seeds removed, salt, and a little water. Place salmon back in pan and cover until cooked through but tender, about a few minutes. Dish and serve.
For dinner I also made garlic sauteed gai lan (Chinese broccoli) and served myself a bowl of brown rice and red yam. I felt quite accomplished and proud: for one I had a proper meal with main dish and sides, as opposed to my usually meal-in-a-bowl, and I felt a a silly feeling of being pampered and fancy; for two the salmon steak actually turned out splendidly! I was lucky to get the timing right and the fish was tender and flavorful as well as lightly imbued with hints of tomato and basil. The pureed tomato-basil-sauce-reduction-thingy also tastes great with rice, although perhaps a slightly less pureed form would do fine as well. The thinner belly parts of the steak were on the salty side, so I will keep that in mind and skew the salt-rubbing toward the thicker parts next time. But all in all I am content, pleasantly surprised, and so happy that I found another simple, non-fuss way to cook salmon than my lazy-man's baked fillet. It had been a good dinner :)
The presentation had to be a bit ghetto with a rubbermaid and my old stainless steel plate. How I wish I had a WHITE plate that would bring out the rich hues of the slightly charred orange salmon and dark green basil and fiery tomatoes! Perhaps it is time to suck it up and get new dishes...
The leftover for next meal. Somehow looks prettier.
No comments:
Post a Comment