Monday, January 7, 2013

Simple salad

A bed of kale and mixed greens topped with cherry tomatoes, avocado, goat cheese crumble, untoasted almond slivers, and a hard-boiled egg. I find that the goat cheese balances the acerbic tartness of the tomatoes, and the almond slivers provide a nice texture to counter the gooeyness of avocado. I think it would taste better (less dry) with vinaigrette (balsamic, perhaps?), but lately I have been enjoying my salads sans dressing.

My love of raw kale dates back to May 2012 when I had the Keenwah salad at Mohawk Bend. The rich earthy flavor and substantive texture agreed with me. I have since looked up the salad online, and don't see kale as one of the ingredients. So perhaps my vivid recollection of Steph's having some kale from my salad and lamenting her boyfriend's dislike of raw kale is but a reverie... so it goes.

Oh oh oh! And there is a pommelo. Because they're delicious. $1.99 at Trader Joe's! (as opposed to $1.99/lb at Publix in Naples, FL.)


1 comment:

  1. Yay :)
    Acerbic?! You should get better cherry tomatoes :P Also why untoasted?

    ReplyDelete